Our [Re]Builders make the work we do possible! Rebuilding Together New Orleans offers volunteer opportunities all year long for individuals or groups of any size. Whether you’re a New Orleans native looking for a way to serve your community, a student leader organizing an alternative break trip, or an executive looking to foster team building through service, we’re excited to welcome you to one of our project sites.
Individual volunteers interested in [Re]Building with us should create a profile on our new Volunteer Center. Once we have opportunities available that match your interest and skills, you’ll receive an email to sign-up for a volunteer shift.
If we currently have open opportunities for individual volunteers, you’ll find them on the Volunteer Jobs tab once you’ve filled out the Volunteer Interest form.
VOLUNTEER GROUPS (ALTERNATIVE BREAKS, CHURCH GROUPS, FAMILIES, ETC.)
If you are the coordinator/leader for the group, please register using our Volunteer Center with the following instructions:
- Enter your specific date(s) you’d like to volunteer in the Volunteer Date(s) Requested box.
- Select General Volunteer Group from the Volunteer Interest menu.
- Tell us a little about your group! In the Volunteer Notes, please tell us how many volunteers you expect to have in your group, what your group affiliation is (school/university name church name, company name, etc.). If you need help organizing housing or transportation, please also leave a note about it in this box.
Once you complete the Volunteer Interest form, a member of our team will reach out to confirm your group’s details. Please note that during peak seasons such as spring break, summer, and winter break, group availability often fills QUICKLY. If you are interested in bringing a group during these busier seasons, you should reach out to our team at least 3 months before your desired service dates.
For groups coming from outside the Greater New Orleans Area, Rebuilding Together New Orleans charges a Volunteer Administration Fee in order to sustain the longevity of the program and serve more homeowners. This fee funds our daily projects and supports the costs of:
- Building supplies
- Safety equipment
- Other administrative costs
University/Church/Synagogue/Family/Other Volunteer groups: $50/week/person
CORPORATE GROUPS AND CONFERENCE SERVICE DAYS
A DAY VOLUNTEERING WITH RTNO:
- Volunteer days are typically Monday- Friday from 9am-4pm. Unless otherwise communicated, volunteers will meet our team at the worksite address provided to you.
- Volunteers must be at least 15 to work with us. Everyone on site will need to sign a waiver to participate, and those under 18 will need a parent or guardian’s permission. All waivers are digital and will be sent prior to volunteering.
- Volunteers will arrive on site and receive a safety briefing from our team before starting work—safety is our top priority!
- The volunteer friendly work may be anything from exterior and interior painting, installing ADA approved grab bars and handrails, working on a wheelchair ramp and/or stairs, installing a fence, and much more!
- No construction experience is necessary! We’ll teach you everything you need to know, and make sure you have all the tools and materials on site to have a successful day.
WHAT TO WEAR AND BRING:
- Wear comfortable clothes you don’t mind getting ruined. You may be painting or staining, so be prepared to get a little dirty!
- Wear closed-toed shoes. Boots or steel-toed shoes are not required, however sandals and other open-toed shoes will not be allowed. Please no Crocs!
- Dress for the weather—shorts are fine in the summer as long as they’re worksite safe.
- Bring a reusable water bottle (cold, filtered water provided)
- Apply sunscreen and bug spray regularly (both provided, but we recommend bringing extra)
- Bring a lunch if your group leader has not told you lunch is provided!
- Volunteers may be asked to wear a mask on interior projects where our homeowners are currently living in the home. Masks will be available.
Hand sanitizer will be on site and available.
We are STRONGLY encouraging that all volunteers be fully vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19 prior to being on site with us. Help us protect our vulnerable homeowners!
Failure to comply with these safety regulations will result in you and/or your group being asked to leave site.